Here’s what’s coming in iOS 13, straight from WWDC.
New Performance Features
- 50% smaller apps, with 60% smaller updates.
- Apps launch twice as fast because of this.
- Finally. This has only been coming for four years now.
- It is good to have this consistent and system-wide now.
- Swiping is finally built-in.
- Again, it’s about time.
New App Improvements
- Safari: Per site preferences and text sizing
- Notes: A new gallery view
- Mail: New rich text formatting options
- Reminders: A complete redesign with new grouping options
- Maps: Being rebuilt with old-fashioned drivers doing manual mapping. Much higher detailed. Rolled out across the US this year.
More on Maps
- Trip planning and sharing
- Look Around feels a LOT like Google Street View. How far will this feature go?
- Look Around looks VERY smooth in the demo.
- Share ETA en route
- Private and secure- Here comes the dig at Google. “No need to flip a switch for privacy.”
App Location and Data Tracking
- Share location per request
- Reports on what is being shared.
- Bluetooth and WiFi tracking is blocked.
- Apple’s answer to tracking via third-party login: Sign In With Apple
- If you want to block access to your email address, Apple will create a random forwarding address. This makes shutting off notifications very easy.
- HomeKit- HomeKit Secure Video. Home security video is analyzed locally and then encrypted before being sent to the cloud. The video storage also won’t count against iCloud storage.
- HomeKit for Routers- Apple will firewall off HomeKit devices using compatible routers.
- Messages will now come with a name and photo or Memoji.
- New Memoji stuff like eyeshadow, piercings, teeth, lipsicks, more hair options and hats. You can even add AirPods.
- Memoji Stickers- Auto-generated packs based on your existing Memojis.
- Memoji stickers and editor will be available on all A9 devices and later
Camera and Photos
- Portrait Lighting Upgrades. New Options and intensity settings.
- New Photo Editing controls.
- Video Editing now built into the Photos app. Includes rotation, filters, etc.
- New Photos browsing options.
Siri, AirPods, HomePod and CarPlay
- Instant message reading and instant responses. Very nice, if there are easy controls.
- This works with other messaging apps through SiriKit, as well.
- Audio Sharing with a single device tap.
- HandOff for HomePod, finally. Just hold the iPhone close to hand off or get audio back to the iPhone.
- 100,000 Live Radio Stations for listening built in.
- HomePod can now recognize individual voices and customize to them.
- Shortcuts- Personalized multi-step Shortcut suggestions in the app
- Neural Text to Speech- Siri’s voice is now completely digitally generated. It is more fluid and less stilted. It is noticeably smoother and less robotic.