Who doesn’t like free? And who doesn’t like great iPad apps? When the two come together it’s good stuff. With that in mind, we’d like to share our Best Free iPad App of the Week here every weekend.
This week’s pick is AirPort Utility, one of the many new releases from Apple this week. It’s an excellent utility app for managing your Apple-based wireless networks, routers, and wireless devices. It supports all Apple 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule.
Here’s the opening of its App Store description:
Use AirPort Utility to manage your Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations, including AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule — right from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network and devices. Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels, and more.
And here are some of its key features:
• See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network
• Get information about your connected Wi-Fi devices
• View and change network and Wi-Fi settings
• Restart or restore a base station, or update the firmware on a base station when available
• View or update passwords for your network, base stations, or disks
• Easily access network information such as IP address, DNS servers, and router addresses
• Manage DHCP reservations and port mappings
• View status or error messages for your base stations
It took about one minute for AirPort Utility to instantly become my favorite way to look at and manage my simple home WiFi network. It is just much nicer than just doing things in a browser. And it looks great as well.
I’m not sure how well it serves for those managing bigger or more complicated wireless networks, but for a typical home network this is a great tool and allows you to manage everything you need to.
Here’s an App Store link for AirPort Utility.
If you’re after more great free iPad apps, be sure to check out our previous choices for Best Free iPad of the Week.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- iPad App of the Week: Tynker, Teaching Children to Program the Fun Way - March 8, 2014
- Sponsor: If your iPad looks like this, please read on… - March 7, 2014
- What Happened to the Analytics Tiles iPad App? - March 6, 2014