Who doesn’t like free? And who doesn’t like great iPad apps? When the two come together it’s good stuff. With that in mind, we’d like to share our Best Free iPad App of the Week here every weekend.
This week’s pick is Fandango Movies – Times & Tickets. There are a number of iPad and iOS apps that help you get information on movies playing nearby, but this is by far and away the best of them.
Fandango Movies is packed full of tons of great features and offers a great UI that makes it easy to do everything from finding the movies you want to see to booking your tickets for a showing.
Here are just some of the headline features of the app:
• Find out what’s playing – use our search function, or browse movies through the "In Theaters", "Top Box Office" and “Coming Soon” lists
• View high-quality trailers, clips, exclusive interviews, movie stills and cast photos. Send trailers to your Apple TV over AirPlay
• Read Fandango Fan Ratings and reviews, critic reviews, Movie Tweets and scores from Metacritic
• View the most accurate showtimes, MPAA ratings and descriptors, genres, synopses, run times and director and cast lists
• View details about movie casts on our “Performer” pages
• Find theaters using the iOS core location feature and view them in a list or within map. Connect with Google Maps for driving directions
• Select a search radius – from 3 to 250 miles – for better theater browsing
• Add theaters to a “Favorites” list for faster searching
• Purchase tickets seamlessly without leaving the app
• Buy tickets for more movie screens – more than 16,000 and counting! – than on any other app
• Sign into your Fandango account to purchase tickets with your credit card stored online
• Or securely store credit card information to your device – it’s your choice!
• E-mail movie, showtime, theater and ticket details (with links for easy purchasing!) to a friend to make planning a movie night easier than ever
Extras for iPad:
• The Pulse – Want a snapshot of what’s selling on Fandango? Then tap into The Pulse!
• Filter movies by genre, MPAA rating and format, including IMAX and 3D
• Find and sort theaters by amenities including Closed Captioning and wheelchair accessibility
• Don’t have a Fandango account? Create one from the app for quicker ticket purchasing, ability to write movie reviews, order tracking and more!
The app offers lots of trailers for most popular movies. They can be toggled to full screen and there’s support for AirPlay video, so you can view them on your HDTV if you have Apple TV.
It’s easy to find local showtimes for all the movies currently playing in your area, and to buy tickets to collect when you arrive at the movie theater.
It’s great that the Reviews section for each movie offers not just critics’ reviews but also fan reviews and tweets about the movie.
The Pulse section on the iPad is very cool. It lets you see what’s hot and what’s selling right now all around the US. It helps you spot some movies you might not have noticed. Today I spotted a documentary on Ayrton Senna, simply titled ‘Senna’ that looks excellent.
There are notifications that you can toggle on / off for big movie openings in your area and reminders to rate a movie once you’ve seen it.
If you’re even an occasional movie goer, this is an essential iPad app. It can help you see what’s on, make a good choice on what to see, and get your seats without the hassle of lining up for popular releases.
Here’s an App Store link for Fandango Movies. It’s a universal app, designed to run on both the iPad and iPhone.
If you’re after more great free iPad apps, be sure to check out our previous choices for Best Free iPad of the Week.