Who doesn’t like great iPad apps? At iPad Insight we definitely do. With that in mind, we offer up a quick review of an excellent iPad app, or a few great iPad apps, here each week.
Our weekly picks for Best iPad App of the Week are published here every Saturday. Check out all our picks via the link at the end of this post and you’ll soon have a collection of stellar apps for your favorite tablet.
This week’s pick is Boxer for Gmail, Outlook, Exchange and More – which I’m going to refer to as Boxer for the rest of this post.
Boxer is a great looking and feature-packed new email app for iOS that has just been updated this week to include an iPad version. In terms of email services alone, it offers support for Gmail, Outlook, Exchange (2007 and up), Yahoo, Hotmail, iCloud, AOL, & IMAP accounts. It should be noted that it does not support POP3 accounts.
It also has built-in support for a number of great cloud services and social apps – including Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Facebook, and Linked In. So, for example, you can add photos from Box or Dropbox as you compose a message. And it’s easy to save a message right into an Evernote notebook.
Another handy option on the Action Grid is a Quick Reply. This uses the built-in set of templates for quick replies – you can edit and add to these templates.
The UI for Boxer is great to work with – clever but not too clever like some ‘minimalist’ email apps for iOS. A swipe left on a message will archive it. Swipe farther left and the message is deleted. And … there’s a handy Undo button for when you make a mistake in your swiping.
A swipe to the right brings up the useful Action Grid. From this popup grid you can like a message, create a to-do from it, add a label, archive it, delete it, mark it as spam, and more.
The app also supports Gmail labels. I love seeing this feature as I rely heavily on Gmail labels and support for them has been notably missing in some high profile iOS email apps.
Here’s the full feature list for Boxer:
* SWIPE TO DELETE – Swipe to archive, trash, spam
* CLOUD ATTACHMENTS – Dropbox support
* PUSH NOTIFICATIONS – Notifications for all your email
* EVERNOTE INTEGRATION – Send emails to evernote with just a tap
* CALENDAR INTEGRATION – Swipe to accept/decline meeting invites
* GMAIL LABELS – Full Gmail label support
* SMART FOLDERS – Boxer remembers where you like to file things
* CONFIGURABLE INTERFACE – Don’t like our swipe actions? You can change them in the settings.
* PROFILE PICTURES – See who your email is from with profile pictures right in your inbox
* CANNED RESPONSES – Use “Quick” replies to send common responses while on the go
* CONTACTS INTEGRATION – including links to social profiles, phone numbers & even recent messages
* TODO LIST – Swipe to your To-Do list and never forget an important message
* EMAIL “LIKES” – Use Like to quickly acknowledge a friend’s message
* DASHBOARD – shows you all of your important and time sensitive items at a glance
* SECURITY – Secure your email with a passcode or PIN to encrypt your data
Cloud File Integration:
Important files in the cloud? With Boxer, you can attach a photo or add a file from Box or Dropbox when you compose a message.
Whether you let your inbox burst at the seams or diligently file things away, you’ll love the ability to quickly swipe left to archive, delete, or mark email as spam. Swiping right exposes the real power of Boxer.
Swipe to the right on a calendar invite to accept or decline the invite right from your inbox. No need to open up the mail and dig for links.
We’ve added a Like button to email. Tap Like to quickly acknowledge a friend’s message and they’ll know you “liked” it. It’s the fastest way to respond to email yet.
The To-do feature moves the selected message from your Inbox to your personal To-do list within Boxer.
See who your email is from with the addition of profile images. Connect to LinkedIn and Facebook via settings to see even more profile pictures.
User Profile & Email History:
Tap on any of the profile photos to see all the information we have for that person, including links to their social profile, phone numbers & even recent messages.
Boxer is a true email client and connects directly to your email provider for the ultimate in speed, security and availability. Your data is safe because we never store your email content or passwords on our own servers. For added security you can encrypt your email database on your phone using a secure password to lock your email application.
This is by far the most impressive new email app for the iPad I’ve seen. If you’re looking for an alternative to the built-in Mail app, go get Boxer.
Here’s an App Store link for Boxer for Gmail, Outlook, Exchange and More; it’s priced at $0.99.
If you’re after more great iPad apps, be sure to check out our previous choices for Best iPad of the Week. We’ve also recently put together a best of the best of our free app selections in a Top 25 Best Free iPad Apps list.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Age of Empires: World Domination Coming to iPad and iOS this Summer - April 16, 2014
- Notable New iPad Apps: WordPerfect X7 (Limited Free Trial) - April 15, 2014
- Ziner RSS Reader for iPad Updated – Lots of Nice Little Improvements - April 14, 2014