Who doesn’t like great iPad apps? At iPad Insight we definitely do. With that in mind, we offer up a quick review of an excellent iPad app, or a few great iPad apps, here each week.
Our weekly picks for Best iPad App of the Week are published here every Saturday. Check out all our picks via the link at the end of this post and you’ll soon have a collection of stellar apps for your favorite tablet.
This week’s pick is Terminology 3– an old favorite in its second incarnation on the App Store, after a recent complete re-write for iOS 7.
Terminology’s elevator pitch in the App Store is that it’s ‘a browser for the English language – part dictionary/thesaurus and part research tool’. And it has always lived up to that description very nicely. It’s been my favorite dictionary and thesaurus tool for years and I’m happy to say it serves a similar purpose for my 10 year old daughter as well.
The new version released last month adds a whole new level of functionality with its Action Directory – which lets you create personalized, custom web and app actions.
Here’s some of the most notable features of the app:
- Full offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Star favorite words for quick access.
- Word browsing history.
- iCloud sync.
- Custom “Actions” to browse your current term on websites and/or lookup terms in other apps which support integration via URL schemes. Create your own or visit our Action Directory for single tap installable actions for many sites (http://actions.agiletortoise.com).
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Export/Share definitions, favorites and history lists.
- Dropbox integration to keep favorites and word histories backed up.
- Lookup and select replacement words from Drafts, Phraseology, Instapaper, Mr. Reader, Writeup, Writing Kit and a growing list of other apps.
- Customizable fonts and font size.
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
If you’re after a great dictionary/thesaurus and all-round great reference tool for the iPad, then Terminology 3 is well worth a look.
Here’s an App Store link for Terminology 3; it’s priced at $2.99 and is now a universal app designed to run on both iPad and iPhone.
If you’re after more great iPad apps, be sure to check out our previous choices for Best iPad of the Week. We’ve also recently put together a best of the best of our free app selections in a Top 25 Best Free iPad Appslist.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- iPad App of the Week – Ancient Battle: Alexander - April 19, 2014
- Cool Things: Evernote Business Notebook by Moleskine - April 19, 2014
- Mobile Cloth – The Answer to a Grubby iPad - April 19, 2014