Great apps are a big part of what makes for a great mobile (or even desktop) device. As iPad users, we’ve been fortunate that right from the start there have been rich pickings when it comes to great iPad apps – and we continue to be spoiled for choice when it comes to finding excellent apps for just about any purpose. Our weekly picks for iPad App of the Week celebrate some of these, and appear here every Saturday.
This week’s pick is Madefire Motion Books & Comics, an exciting app that offers a powerful combination of traditional comics and a new digital format that promises ‘to take visual storytelling to the next level’.
The app has got a number of rave reviews already and looks well worthy of those. Here’s one way I can tell that’s true: I am not a comics fan at all. Never have been. After spending a good amount of time with Madefire last night and this morning, I just might be a convert now. It’s that good.
Here’s a slice of Madefire’s App Store description and features listing:
• Experience your favorite superheroes Batman, Superman and the entire DC Universe, Hellboy, Star Trek, My Little Pony and Transformers like never before. With top publishers like DC Comics, IDW, Dark Horse, Oni Press, Liquid, Valiant and Top Cow adding to the Print and Motion Book library, your favorite classics as well as new day-and-date releases are available now and updated weekly.
• Browse hundreds of new print comic titles from top-tier publishers in our new Print Books storefront where we feature famous comics released same-day… all available for direct In-App Purchases.
• Choose your own destiny in our exclusive release with DC Comics, Batman Arkham Origins. The first-of-its kind Motion Book is a prequel to the Batman Arkham Origins video game where multiple story paths unfold multiple outcomes as you choose Batman’s course of action.
• All new characters and stories are available exclusively on Madefire with the download of the free app. What have been coined “myths of the 21st century”, these featured original titles from Madefire have been forged by comic book legends – including Dave Gibbons, Bill Sienkiewicz, Mike Carey and Liam Sharp.
• Immerse yourself in new worlds, 360 panoramic views, music, sound effects and motion transport you deep into story worlds. You control the pace at which stories unfold on-screen.
• Web-Partner deviantArt is the world’s largest creative community and also home of the exclusive Motion Books category featuring the premium reading experience on the web.
• Madefire and its catalogue of Print Comics and Motion Books currently feature a wide selection of FREE comics, popular day and date releases, horror comics, kids comics and many more with the catalogue growing by the week. Regardless what you are in to – there is something for you!
I’m a million miles away from being a comics expert, but it seems to me like the app offers a good, broad selection of titles across a number of genres. I have already found several titles that have caught my interest and I’m several episodes into. Those include ‘The Engine’ and ‘Mono’ and ‘Star Trek’ – here’s a few screenshots from those:
I’m really enjoying the motion book titles so far, and I’m looking forward to delving further into the app with my 11 year old daughter. She’s a voracious reader and I have a feeling there will be a number of titles in Madefire that we can enjoy together.
Here’s an App Store link for Madefire; it’s a free app with some free titles and episodes and direct In-App purchase options for paid titles and episodes – at $1.99 – $2.99 each.
If you’re after more great iPad apps, check out our Best iPad Apps section.