Great and unique apps are a big part of what has made the iPad such an amazing device, With that in mind, we offer up a quick review of one outstanding iPad app a week here each week.
Our weekly picks for Best iPad App of the Week are published here every Saturday. Check out all our picks via the link at the end of this post and you’ll soon have a collection of stellar apps for your favorite tablet.
This week’s pick is Sports Jeopardy, an iPad game that’s a version of Jeopardy tailor-made for big-time sports fans. I’m definitely in that category, so it took me about 1 second to decide to grab this app as soon as I noticed it was on the App Store.
The game lets you test your sports knowledge against one or two AI players, Facebook friends, or random online opponents.
Here are some of the game’s key features:
• Test your Knowledge: Step up to the podium and get ready for thousands of clues, ranging from sports stats to cultural references
• Level Up: Progress through the ranks from fan to sports legend as you unlock new challenges and achievements.
• Compete with Friends: Challenge friends in a new turn-based online multiplayer mode. Or, play in person with Party mode.
• Power-Up: Change the rules with in-game Power-ups. Use “Time Out” to give yourself more time on questions or “Double Down” to up the ante with an extra Daily Double somewhere on the board.
• Follow the Leader: Track your ranking against other Sports Jeopardy! players with weekly and all-time leaderboards.
I’ve been playing the game all week, and enjoying the heck out of it. I like that it covers a broad range of sports and has a big question set. I think I’ve only seen one repeat question in 6 days worth of pretty heavy use. The categories are good and challenging too.
I also enjoy the different gameplay options. I started out playing it in the default mode that offers multiple choice selections for each question and pretty quickly moved on to the more challenging mode where you need to type in answers.
It’s fun that the game gives you awards and tracks your career winnings and stats for you, just for a little extra motivation.
One more thing I love about Sports Jeopardy is that although there are a number of In-App purchases available to bolster your chances / results, I have not even come close to feeling like I need to look at any of them. The game offers more than enough rewards and level-ups just for achieving good results.
After nearly a week with Sports Jeopardy for iPad I’ve come away with two big impressions: Damn I’m good at sports trivia and Holy Crap what have I done with my life that I know this much of this stuff?
Here’s an App Store link for Sports Jeopardy; it’s priced at $0.99 and has In-App purchase options that range from 0.99 to 49.99.
NOTE: Sports Jeopardy! requires Internet connection to play.
NOTE: Sports Jeopardy! requires iPhone 4 or newer, iPad 2 or newer, or iPod Touch 5th Gen.
If you’re after more great iPad apps, be sure to check out our previous choices for Best iPad of the Week. We’ve also recently put together a best of the best of our free app selections in a Top 25 Best Free iPad Appslist.