iPad apps are, and have always been, a big part of what makes the iPad such a powerful device. Great apps, and unique apps that you just don’t find anywhere else, are one of the hallmark features of the iPad. They have been since Day 1, and scores of great developers and publishers continue to produce apps that are exclusively for the iPad. Our weekly picks for Best iPad App of the Week are published here every Saturday.
This week’s pick is The Official Masters Tournament, the 2014 version of the official app covering The Masters – the opening major of the year with the final rounds being played this weekend.
This has always been one of the very best sports apps on the iPad, and this year’s edition is no exception.
The app’s list of features is nearly as long and impressive as the history of the tournament itself:
LIVE SIMULCAST OF MASTERS BROADCAST COVERAGE
– Watch the LIVE simulcast of ESPN coverage on Thursday and Friday
– Watch the LIVE simulcast of CBS weekend coverage on Saturday and Sunday
– All video will be displayed in beautiful full-screen, HD-quality and viewable with 3G or better and Wi-Fi connections
EIGHT ADDITIONAL LIVE STREAMS OF VIDEO CONTENT
– Wednesday’s Par 3 Contest
– Tournament play at Amen Corner (Hole Nos. 11, 12, and 13)
– Tournament play at Hole Nos. 15 and 16
– Two channels of Featured Group play on the second nine
– Masters In-Depth – A live highlights channel during ESPN and CBS broadcast
– Masters On the Range – Special analysis from a live-streamed Practice Range show starting Monday, April 7th through Sunday, April 13th.
– Masters Green Jacket Ceremony at the conclusion of Tournament play.
(Live video is available to view in the United States only.)
Live radio coverage of the Masters Tournament starting Thursday, April 10th.
(Live Masters Radio is available in the United States only on iPad devices.)
EXCLUSIVE LIVE SCORING
Interact with the live Leader Board, which features up-to-the-minute scoring and video highlights of the greatest moments on the course
Detailed hole information with imagery, flyover videos and 360 views from various positions on the hole.
A round by round view of each day’s pairings that includes player action shots and easy navigation to find the tee time of any player.
-Latest news and commentary of the 2014 Tournament
-On-demand video highlights, feature clips and player interviews
-Photo galleries of daily tournament action, rich course imagery and the tournament’s illustrious historical moments.
This app is perfect for anyone who can’t get near a TV set during The Masters or even as a fun and useful companion app while watching it on TV. One of the great things about this app is that it is genuinely free – with no hidden gotchas. No need to login as a subscriber to a particular cable company, no extra fee for seeing live coverage – none of that nonsense. The only restriction on live content streaming is that it is US only – which is sad, but I have a feeling that is out of the control of the app’s publishers.
Here’s an App Store link for The Official Masters Tournament; it’s a free app.
If you’re after more great iPad apps, check out our Best iPad Apps section.