Double is a mobile teleconferencing or telepresence system which has the iPad as a key component. Here’s a bit of an an Intro to it from its makers, Double Robotics:
Double is the simplest, most elegant way to be somewhere else in the world without flying there. The minimalist design and intuitive touchscreen controls allow you to freely move around without inconveniencing others. You can stay at eye level, whether sitting or standing, by adjusting your height remotely, which makes conversations fluid and real. Retractable kickstands will automatically deploy to conserve power when you are not moving around. Efficient motors and lightweight design give Double the ability to last all day without recharging the battery.
And some suggested use cases for it:
- Offices with multiple locations use Double to communicate with remote teams. Remote workers feel more connected with their colleagues and have more independence around the office.
- School campuses place a Double in each building, enabling potential students to walk the halls and talk to professors. College recruiters use Double to attract new students to their school by offering tours when travel is not possible.
- Retail stores use Double as a mobile kiosk, giving customers more information about the products. Brands offer personal sales representatives and support from remote specialists in a central location.
- Manufacturing facilities offer Double as a service to clients and partners to improve communication and streamline production.
- Doctors visit patients more often amid their busy schedules. Hospitals in remote locations have specialists on-call with Double.
- Families use Double to stay more in touch with relatives across the country.
- Museums and galleries can offer remote tours on Double, so patrons can experience world-renown exhibits from anywhere in the world.
Double weighs in at just 15 pounds and ships out ready to go once an iPad is inserted. It has an accompanying iPad app that’s used for both the iPad of the ‘driver’ and the robot’s iPad. The app initiates an interactive video call and lets the driver use touch to manage the driving controls.
Double is expected to ship in December of this year and can be pre-ordered now for $1,999 – a 20% discount on its standard $2,499 price.
You can see more details, watch a demo video, or place an order at the Double Robotics site.
I think Double looks very impressive, though a little out of my price range for my ‘one man and one huge Labrador’ size company. :)