Apple released the second version of the their developer beta this afternoon, with a slough of enhancements and improvements to iOS 10 previously announced at WWDC three weeks ago. The public beta of iOS 10 is scheduled to be released later this month. However, those with developer accounts who are already testing iOS 10 can download the (OTA) update when connected to Wi-Fi.
As with all developer betas, users are strongly discouraged from loading beta software on their daily driver devices, as they will most likely become unstable and unresponsive at times. Betas are for developers to test their new apps, and from my past experience, this can sometimes make your device unreliable. However, with each new beta release, Apple continues to iterate additional enhancements and updates to iOS while at the same time making it more stable and reliable.
Some previous functionality is removed–however, iOS 10 Beta 2 is chalked full of changes, many minor and superficial as well as tweaks that will continue to add to the overall functionality and stability. In addition to bug fixes, the following is a summary of some of the more notable changes for iPad owners.
- Notification Center ‘Missed’ becomes ‘Recent’
- Today view for widgets in Notification Center can once again be accessed with swipe down from Home screen, not just within apps
- Apple Music replaces ‘Downloaded Music’ with ‘Downloads’, no longer removable
- Maps now includes option for ‘Show Parked Location’ plus feature explanation in Settings
- Control Center 3D Touch options have tweaked language, icons
- New Organ Donation changes available in Health app
- Music now has Shuffle option from Songs section (previously had to play a song before shuffling)
- App Store now works with Split View on supported iPads
- iMessage App Store introduced over the weekend now promoted with splash screen
- Feedback app available for more users
- 3D Touching folders with badges now shows badges per apps, previously said ‘Unread’ per app
- Interactive notifications now work differently on non-3D Touch devices (swipe down versus slide over to access options)
- Connect Posts now appears below For You content on For You tab, Connect tab appears when you disable Apple Music, new banner promoting sign ups
- Apple News is now a “removable” app
- Keyboard click sound has reverted to classic version, iOS 10 beta 1 included updated sound
- New ‘Featured Complications’ section in Apple Watch app
- AirPlay/Bluetooth headphones and speakers now appear from Now Playing screen in Music