When I bought my iPad 2 on launch day last week, I also picked up an Apple Smart Cover for it. Even though I hated Apple’s case for the original iPad, the smart cover looked so different and so … smart, that I felt I had to give it a try.
The smart covers for the iPad 2 come in polyurethane or leather, and in a small range of colors for each material. I chose leather and the Navy color for mine. I’ve been using the smart cover for around a week now and have had it on my iPad 2 just about constantly. I have mixed feelings about the smart cover so far – there are some things I love about it, and others that I don’t like at all.
Hit the break for a quick rundown of my iPad 2 smart cover likes and dislikes …
What’s to Like about the iPad 2 Smart Cover
– It really is incredibly slim and light, which means the iPad 2 itself remains wonderfully thin while using it.
– The leather material has a nice feel and makes it a tad easier to grip the iPad.
– The magnets in the smart cover and the iPad 2 work perfectly. It’s amazing how effortlessly the smart cover attaches to the iPad 2 when you get it close – and places itself perfectly along the left side as well.
– The ability of the smart cover to automatically lock and unlock the iPad 2 as it is placed on or taken off is a great feature. I didn’t think much of this at first, but it has grown on me with each day of usage. It’s quite a nice little time saver. Between this feature and the magnetic attraction of the smart cover to the iPad 2, it does feel a little bit magical to use.
– The covers look quite smart as well. I think the navy one looks simple and elegant on the iPad.
– It folds back nicely into an effective typing stand position. It does so easily and typing is very comfortable in this position.
– The smart cover appears to ‘play nicely’ with my screen protectors so far. I had Ghost Armor screen protectors applied to the front and back of my iPad 2 this past Monday.
What’s Not To Like
– The Smart Cover is ‘just’ a cover, not a case. It offers no protection for the sides or back of the iPad 2, and seemingly only the most minimal protection for the iPad’s screen. Combine that with the substantially thinner glass used for the iPad 2 and it’s a bit of a recipe for disaster if you have a severe drop.
– It doesn’t grip to the back of the iPad 2. I like to fold a case (or in this case, cover) over to the back of the iPad when reading or working with the device. When you do this with the smart cover it doesn’t naturally stay on the back of the iPad like a case would; it wants to flop around if you don’t hold it in place. You can fold it in half to make it less floppy, but it still needs to be held in place.
– It seems to have accumulated a good number of nicks and scratches (the smart cover, not the iPad 2) in its first few days of use. I only list this here in case some of you view this as a concern; I don’t feel fussed at all about it. I don’t think a bit of wear detracts from its handsome looks.
So it’s been a bit of an up and down relationship for me with the smart cover so far. After a couple days I thought the annoying things about it outweighed the good things. I stuck with it though since I don’t yet have any other case for the iPad 2 (though I have two ordered and on their way to me). I’m glad I did, because I’ve found myself liking it much better as the days have gone by.
I still can’t see the smart cover being my single, go-to case for the iPad, because I want a case that offers full protection. I have grown to like it enough to now be considering what case I may be able to combine it with though. I don’t feel optimistic about this though – as I don’t like pouch cases at all and I’m not sure there’s going to be any case that will look and function well enough in tandem with the smart cover.
My greater hope is that we’ll start to see more 3rd party cases that offer full-protection, good looks, and smart cover features. There are a couple of these announced already, but neither appeals to me. I hope we’ll see more coming along very soon.
What do you think of the iPad 2 smart cover? Are you loving it, hating it, or having mixed feelings like me?