The teardown of the iPad 4 confirmed that it has 1GB of RAM, just like the iPad 3 and offered no real surprises given what Apple had already told us about the latest new iPad. Here are a few of the highlights findings from iFixit:
* As opposed to the Samsung display we found in the iPad 3, the new iPad LCD is manufactured by LG. Apple has reportedly been working to move away from Samsung as a primary supplier, so this LG display is not surprising. However, Apple often relies on multiple suppliers for a single component, meaning there are likely other LCD manufacturers lurking inside other iPad 4s.
* The battery is labeled with the same model number (A1389) as in the last round, so it’s no surprise that it’s another 3.7 V, 43 Whr package. Like the iPad 3, the battery is adhered very securely to the rear case. Since batteries are consumables that wear out, the trend of guled-in, hard-to-access batteries in iPads and other Apple devices is unfortunate.
* Chips inside include:
* Apple A6X Processor
* Hynix H2JTDG8UD2MBR 16 GB NAND Flash
* 2 x 4Gb Elpida LP DDR2 = 1 GB DRAM in two packages
* Apple 338S1116 Cirrus Logic Audio Codec
* 343S0622-A1 Dialog Semi PMIC
* Apple 338S1077 Cirrus Logic Class D Amplifier
* Broadcom BCM5974 Touch Screen Controller
* Broadcom BCM5973A1 Touch Screen Controller
* Texas Instruments CD3240B0 Touch Screen Line Driver
* 2 x Fairchild BCHAH/FDMC Voltage Regulator / Reference
* Murata 339S0171 Broadcom BCM4334 WiFi Module
* We found a 1.2MP Facetime HD camera lurking inside, with the ability to shoot 720p HD video. That’s a big improvement from the .3MP Facetime camera in the iPad 3. Compared to the iPad 3, this camera is actually slightly thicker (an extra .4 mm), but it still manages to fit into the same space.
Check out the full iPad 4 teardown for all the gory details.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Fandango Movies iPad App Updated: New Spotlight Carousel, New Icon, and More - April 17, 2014
- Sponsor: Grungy iPad Screen, Read On - April 17, 2014
- Age of Empires: World Domination Coming to iPad and iOS this Summer - April 16, 2014