I spent my first few weeks with the iPad 2 using only the Apple Smart Cover and screen protectors on front and back. Initially there was a major lack of third party cases for the iPad 2 – in Apple and other retail stores and even online. Over the last few weeks this situation has improved a great deal and I’ve found a number of promising iPad 2 cases online.
The Mivizu Sense iPad 2 Leather Case is one of those. I had never heard of Mivizu before until a reader mentioned this case and it looked interesting enough to try out. Honestly, I had low expectations with such an unknown name. Well, I’ve been using this unknown darkhorse of a case for a couple weeks now and I have been very pleasantly surprised at how much I like it.
The Sense iPad 2 Leather Case is made of genuine grain leather and its interior has a microfiber lining. It offers full protection to the front, back, and sides of the iPad 2. I got a light gray model; it also comes in black, blue, pink, and green.
As so many iPad cases do, it doubles up as a stand and can be set into different positions suited to watching movies, typing and other activities.
The case also supports the iPad 2 smart cover tech for automatic sleep / wake of the device when the case is closed and opened.
It has cutouts for all the iPad 2 buttons and ports.
On the inside of the case there’s a Velcro flap that helps secure the iPad 2.
– The Sense looks great. It’s easily the handsomest iPad 2 case I’ve got so far. Right from the first glance you can sense (heh) that the leather is high quality, all the stitching is spot-on, and it just looks very smart and professional all the way around. I really enjoy the shade of gray of the case as well.
– The leather used is padded and feels superb when you’re handling the case.
– All the cutouts are well executed – they’re positioned well and leave ample space around each button and port. It’s easy to charge the iPad 2 while it’s in the case.
– It works solidly as a stand. More so than the Apple smart cover I find. Typing mode is very nice with the Sense.
– The iPad 2 fits in snugly and feels 100% secure while in the case. Getting it in and out of the case is also quite easy – which is always a big bonus. I hate having to wrestle with a case to insert and remove the iPad.
– The inside cover holding the iPad overlaps the bezel a lot – which reduces the amount of screen you can work with.
I’ve gone from low expectations (only because I didn’t know the brand name) to positive first impressions, to being thoroughly impressed with this case. The Mivizu Sense is my favorite iPad 2 case; I like it better than any of the ‘big-name’ cases I’ve used.
The Sense is an elegant and effective case for the iPad 2. It looks great, does a great job when you’re using the iPad 2 with it, and the automatic sleep/wake of the device works like a charm with it as well.
I bought mine for around $39, but the case now goes for $59.95. You can see more details on it and place an order at Mivizu’s page for it here:
Disclosure: This case was independently purchased by the post author. For further information regarding our site’s review policies, please see the "About" page.