If you’re a regular (or even semi-regular) reader here then you know I’m rather fond of iPad stands. Rather fond in the same sort of way that dogs are rather fond of bones. Yup, I’m a big fan of iPad stands. I’ve currently got four on or around my desk.
So when TUAW’s Mike Schramm mentioned a handsome new stand from Ten One Design that they’d spotted at CES, it caught my eye straight away. This new stand for the iPad 2 is called the Magnus. Two things about it are very appealing right off the bat:
– It uses a strong magnetic link to hold the iPad 2 in portrait or landscape mode. Maybe my affection for the iPad 2 Smart Cover is getting the best of me, but I just love this idea.
– It has a beautiful, minimal appearance – giving a sort of ‘Look Ma, no hands’ look to the iPad 2 and stand.
Here’s more detail on the design of the Magnus:
Magnus is first machine-crafted from pure aluminum and then hand-finished using the latest manufacturing techniques. After that, customized magnets are installed into the base, and rubberized feet are fitted to the bottom surface.
Our designers targeted a reduced silhouette. Viewed from the side, you see only the iPad’s tilt, and a flat plate on the desk. From there, the engineering took over.
Magnus may look like it’s defying gravity, but it feels like a permanent attachment. You may need two hands to separate Magnus from your iPad.
A Magnus will soon be doing its magnetic magic on my desk. They go for $49.95.If you want to see more info on this stand or place an order, check out its product page here: http://tenonedesign.com/magnus.php
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Notable New iPad Apps: iOOTP Baseball 2014 - April 18, 2014
- Fandango Movies iPad App Updated: New Spotlight Carousel, New Icon, and More - April 17, 2014
- Sponsor: Grungy iPad Screen, Read On - April 17, 2014