My iPad 3G had been going naked since I bought it, and I’ve been wanting to get a screen protector for it for quite a while. The main thing holding me back was that I am The World’s Worst installer of screen protectors. I’ve tried installing various brands on my iPhones and iPads in the past, and always done a horrendous job and regretted trying it.
I also tried out having Best Buy install an invisibleSHIELD for me on my old WiFi only iPad. After a couple weeks that was not looking good at all. There were quite a few ugly patches along the sides of the screen and noticeable bubbling in several spots that was not ‘working itself out’. I ended up removing it.
Last week I finally found the perfect solution for my iPad. Ghost Armor screen protectors AND a kiosk where they would apply them for me. I’ve had the protectors on front (screen) and back of my iPad for 8 days now, and they look excellent.
I am extremely happy with the Ghost Armor solution. My iPad screen is much less of a magnet for smudges and fingerprints now, the install was superb and there are no bubbles or bad patches anywhere. It’s the mythical ‘you can hardly tell it’s there’ application – the one that I could never achieve if you left me in a dust-free lab environment with 100 protectors to work with and a week to devote to the project.
Both the screen and the back of my iPad are not just looking great, but also now protected from scratches and nicks.
Here’s an excerpt from Ghost Armor’s site on the quality of the material used for their protectors and their product for the iPad:
Ghost Armor™ has been precisely pre-cut to invisibly protect your Apple iPad 3G perfectly. You’ll receive the same extreme protection for your Apple iPad 3G that the military helicopter blades, fighter jets’ wingtips and the space shuttle’s wingtips receive! Without bulk, creases, bubbles, or that orange peel look, we’ll protect your Apple iPad 3G from scratches and dings. And remember – we back our product with a lifetime warranty!
So … great protection, great looks, and a professional and flawless install – absolutely what I was after. I want to say a huge thanks to Ian, who did the install on my iPad, Jeff, who runs the Ghost Armor kiosk at Barton Creek Mall here in Austin, Tx, and all the guys at the kiosk. It was a pleasure dealing with all of them, and a perfect end-result.
Here are a few other quick notes on my experience with Ghost Armor:
– The Ghost Armor guys recommended not applying the protectors to the sides of my iPad, as I mentioned that my favorite case for it is a tight-fitting one. I agreed and I’ve never been fussed about having the sides covered anyway.
– There was a choice of glossy or matte style for the back protector. I chose matte.
– The install was done quite quickly – in right around 30 minutes. I went and grabbed a quick snack and some coffee and the iPad was all ready to go just a couple minutes after returning to the kiosk.
– The install was less expensive than the invisbleSHIELD install at Best Buy – coming it at $54 for front and back coverage vs. $49 for just the front / screen at Best Buy. And of course it was a much, much better job as well.
– After the install was done, the Ghost Armor guys gave me good advice on how long to avoid using the iPad for (just an hour or so) and how long to avoid putting a case back on it (24 hours). They mentioned that there might be some haziness on the screen that would dissipate over a few days. I didn’t see any of that. It looked great straight away.
They also advised that if there were any problems with the install over the first 5 days I could bring it back to them for a free reinstall.
– The Ghost Armor kiosk is located right out in front of the Barton Creek Mall Apple store – a superb location for them, and for all of us who are iPad / iPhone / Apple fans here in Austin. This is their first location in Austin. If my experience with them is anything like typical, they should thrive and grow.
Ghost Armor is a nationwide chain, based in Phoenix and with locations in 18 states. If they don’t have a location near you, you can buy their protectors online as well. Check their web site here for locations, details on their protection for iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs, and lots of other devices, and to place an order:
And if you’re in Austin and you’re anything like the clutz I am when it comes to screen protectors, get over to Barton Creek and get an install done.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- iPad Art: Watercolor Tiger - April 20, 2014
- Office 365 Personal: Lower, $69 per Year Option for iPad Users - April 20, 2014
- iPad App of the Week – Ancient Battle: Alexander - April 19, 2014