The SPIGEN Folio S Case for the new iPad is the second SPIGEN case I’ve used. Last month I did a review of the SPIGEN SGP Sleeve for the new iPad and I was very impressed with it. Now I’ve also spent some time using the Folio S case for the new iPad and the short story is that I’m quite impressed again.
SPIGEN describes the Folio S like so:
The SPIGEN Folio.S Case is a finely hand-crafted folio style case, made of high-quality genuine leather. Case features very slim yet sturdy protection for the new iPad.
As the name suggests, it’s a folio style case that offers protection for the front, back, and sides of the new iPad. Like nearly all folio cases it doubles as a stand and offers stand angles for viewing and typing.
The case comes in brown or dark brown and is priced at $91.99. My review unit – shown above and throughout this post – is the brown model.
– This case is very good looking. The color of the leather is gorgeous and even reminds me a little of burnt orange, the color my hometown team, the Texas Longhorns. The SPIGEN wordmark is embossed on the front and back covers but it’s done nicely and doesn’t detract from the handsome look of the case.
– Although its relatively slim it feels very nice as well, and the quality of the case comes through in its precise stitching and every detail of the case.
– The suede interior looks good too – and though I don’t have a clue why, it seems to pick up far less dirt and dust than other folio cases with similar interiors.
– The new iPad fits perfectly inside the frame and is secured very well with a flap that attaches to the case interior with velcro. All the iPads ports and buttons are easily accessible and there’s a generous cutout for the iPad’s back camera.
– Grooves in the inside of the front cover, again as with many folio stands, are used to provide positions when using the case as a stand. The typing position is a little higher than on some stands but it’s comfortable enough.
– The case does not support the iPad’s automatic sleep/wake feature. If you’re a smart cover user and feel like this has become a must-have feature this might be a dealbreaker for you.
– SPIGEN has further branding text on the inside of the front cover too. I think front, back, and interior branding is a little too much.
The SPIGEN Folio S Case for the new iPad is a great looking and very nicely made folio case for the new iPad. It offers the typical set of features for a folio style iPad case, minus the automatic sleep/wake support. If you’re someone who doesn’t like the automatic sleep/wake feature this may be just the right case for you.
I would miss the sleep/wake feature too much to use this case every day, but I’ve enjoyed using it more than I thought I would.
For more details or to place an order, check out the SPIGEN Folio S for the new iPad product page.
Disclosure: SPIGEN SGP provided me with this case as a review unit. For information about our review policies please see our About page.