This week’s App Store iPad App of the Week is PopOut! The Night Before Christmas. There are lots of versions of this classic Christmas children’s story in the App Store, but this one boasts some unique, charming, and interactive elements and really is worthy of the App Store recognition.
Here’s part of the Intro to the app on its App Store page:
See William Denslow’s masterful illustrations brought to life with innovative pull-tabs, spin-wheels, and elements that bounce and spring with the touch of a finger. Listen to "O Christmas Tree" beautifully performed on piano while you read and interact with each page of the book. Explore every scene and discover the many delightful life-like interactions at your fingertips.
* Touch and drag objects to make them “spring” to life or tilt to watch them slide and move
* Objects that literally PopOut!™ of the page to delight you and your family
* Beautiful vocal performance, music, and sound effects will immerse you in the story
* "Read to Me" with word highlighting to help improve reading skills
* Or read it yourself and hear individual words and page numbers spoken with the tap of a finger
* 50 pages of authentic text and illustrations with realistic page turning interactions just like the original hardcover book
I’ve had a chance to give this app a look, and my daughter (Zoe) and I both spent time with it yesterday afternoon. We can definitely give a happy endorsement to the lovely illustrations, the excellent voiceover in ‘Read to Me’ mode, and most of all, of the wonderful interactive fun on every single page.
This app really does feel a lot like a printed popup book. Unlike many iPad titles where there are just a very few interactive elements on each page, PopOut! The Night Before Christmas offers lots and lots of interactive things on every set of pages. They’re nicely varied as well – some make funny sounds, some can be swiped right out of their position and made to fall down to the bottom of the page, and some of the best ones can be made to pop in and out of view.
Oh, and of course there’s this page, where you can spin the hands of the clock around and make the moon appear and disappear:
The book is a pleasure to read and play with, for kids and grownups alike. Everything about it is done beautifully and with subtle charm. Definitely a great App of the Week choice for the holiday season.
You can find PopOut! The Night Before Christmas in the App Store now, priced at $2.99 – which is listed as a limited time holiday offer – part of a 40% off offer for all PopOut books.