I Heart Etsy is a new iPad app that promises to make your Etsy shopping experience on the iPad fun, easy, and addicting. Etsy is the popular online marketplace for a wide array of creative and handcrafted products – including lots of fun and unique iPad accessories.
I’m a fan of Etsy and like to take a regular browse through it for cool iPad and Mac related items – so I’ve been giving this app a look this evening to see if it lives up to its App Store promises.
Here’s the app’s features list:
♥ Use it with or without an Etsy username!
♥ Easily view item details, favorite items, bookmark categories and add items to your cart.
♥ Find that perfect item by searching on keyword, price, and location from your favorite categories.
♥ Browse the hottest treasuries and get great gift and craft ideas.
♥ Share favorite products with friends through Facebook and Email. Coming soon, Twitter and Pinterest!
♥ Beautiful retina display images and graphics for the best browsing experience.
It works in landscape mode only, which is fine by me for the type of app it is – but your mileage may vary of course.
The two main areas to browse via the app’s home screen are Browse Categories and Hottest Treasuries – and via the sidebar you get access to Home, Categories, Treasuries, Favorites, Cart, Feedback, App Tour, and Sign Out (if you’ve opted to sign in).
Though signing in to the app is optional, if you have an Etsy account (or don’t mind taking a few minutes creating one) it’s worth doing as you can then browse through and add to your favorites.
The app uses Etsy’s API but is not endorsed by Etsy. It’s priced at $0.99.
– Retina display support is a good start for an app like this one – and the app looks good throughout its pages.
– The app’s UI is good and navigation is simple and intuitive – so the browsing experience really is quite good. You swipe left and right to browse categories or treasuries on the home screen, and do the same or tap left and right arrows to move between items in categories. The sidebar on the left is hidden by default and is easy to toggle visible or not with a single tap.
– The pages for individual items are very nicely done. A single tap toggles an info/details popover visible or not. Again you swipe left and right to move through photo galleries. There are buttons to favorite the item, email it to yourself or others, or share it via Facebook.
– There’s a basic search bar at the center top of the home screen and a search icon at the top right that offers advanced filters on price and location.
– More sharing options would be good to see – Twitter and Pinterest are said to be coming soon so that should get resolved in an upcoming update.
– The Cart item in the sidebar doesn’t refresh its badge count very well. I’ve found that when I place an item in the cart and then remove it, the sidebar will still show 1 item until I quit the app (via the Multitasking Bar) and re-open it.
I Heart Etsy is easily the best Etsy app I’ve seen for the iPad. It’s far nicer to use than Etsy in the browser on the iPad – the well-designed and elegant UI combined with retina support really do make it a pleasure to use.
Here’s an App Store link for I Heart Etsy; it’s priced at $0.99.
Thanks to reader Roy for the heads-up on this app.
Disclosure: This app was independently purchased by the post author in the iPad App Store. For further information regarding our site’s review policies, please see the About page.