Flick Golf Extreme HD, as its name implies, offers up extreme golf on the iPad. Extreme courses, extreme challenges, and extreme fun.
This is the big daddy in the Flick Golf series of apps for the iPad and iPhone. The objective in all of these is to hit hole-in-one shots at every hole. That’s a daunting task right from the off – throw in extreme course locations, crazy pin locations, and ever-changing wind conditions, and this makes for a heck of a challenge.
Here’s a short slice of the App Store intro for the game:
Exclusively designed for the iPad 2 and iPad, are you ready to conquer the most extreme courses in the world?
Every course looks simply stunning in HD thanks to the high resolution Retina display.
Get ready to tee off over grand canyons, icebergs, skyscrapers and more!
Flick Golf Extreme is the perfect adrenaline fix for your finger.
And its feature list:
• Shoot for an insane score in classic Quickshot mode.
• Play World Tour across the most extreme courses in the world.
• Try out the challenging Five Ball mode!
• Gorgeous 3D environments.
• See your ball set ablaze with amazing hole-in-one special effects!
• Incredibly accurate in-air spin control.
• Full GameCenter and Openfient leaderboards.
• Over 30 in-game achievements.
• Stunning high resolution graphics for iPad 2.
• Listen to your own music while you play!
– The concept is great. You have to go for a hole-in-one at every hole. Bonus points are awarded for good use of backspin and curve on your shots, as well as for hitting the pin. If you don’t manage a hole-in-one, the closer you get the more points you’re awarded.
– The controls are just superb. Flicking to hit your shot is very natural and comfortable – the harder you flick the farther the shot goes. The even cleverer part is that you can swipe while the shot is in the air (all the way until it hits the ground) to adjust it on the fly, literally. This also feels quite natural after only a little time playing the game.
— It’s challenging in a number of ways. For starters, there is nearly always some wind and it varies in direction often – so you’re always adjusting your shots to cope with that. The courses also offer great variety and some unique challenges. For instance, this obstacle as you’re lining up a shot:
Or how about this for a hole layout with an 18mph wind blowing:
– The courses are tough, the graphics for them are excellent, and they’re just plain fun to look at and play. One of my favorites is where you have to hit your shot out of a moving helicopter. Here’s a few more examples – starting with an oil rig:
Here’s an aircraft carrier deck:
You’re often faced with very little margin for error in terms of getting your shot on the green.
– The modes of play offer good variety. The World Tour mode has you play 9 holes at a range of courses and your cumulative score is what will get you through to the next level. 5 Ball Challenge is just as it sounds – five shots to get as many points as you can. Quickshot is my favorite mode. You’re on a timer and you’ve got to get as many points as possible before it runs out. Holes-in-one and other good shots add seconds back onto the timer, so if you get in a groove you can rack up big scores.
If you muck things up badly, you can always hit the Pause button and choose Retry to get a fresh start. This is especially handy if you’re several holes into a World Tour round and you can see it’s a lost cause.
None. The game is rock solid – never crashes, never lags.
Flick Golf Extreme HD is a golf game that’s so good you’ll want to shout ‘You Da Man’ at the developers. It’s original, unique, highly challenging, and very addictive. It’s easy to pick up and play for short spells or to spend a long stretch with.
This is my favorite iPad game.
Here’s an App Store link for Flick Golf Extreme HD; it’s priced at $3.99.
Disclosure: This app was independently purchased by the post author in the iPad App Store. For further information regarding our site’s review policies, please see the "About" page.