It’s that wonderful time of year again for US sports fans – March Madness just finished, baseball’s season just underway, the NBA season drawing near to its playoffs, and The Masters is coming up this weekend.
The Masters Tournament is the official iPad app for the season’s first major at Augusta National.
I’m not big on watching standard PGA or European Tour events, but I love watching the majors, and The Masters as much as any of them – so as usual I’m keen to see what the official iPad app for the tournament has to offer. I’ve been browsing through it this morning and I’m not disappointed – far from it.
Here’s the rundown of the app’s features and what it includes:
- SATURDAY AND SUNDAY’S LIVE CBS SIMULCAST
- Watch the LIVE simulcast of CBS’ weekend coverage
- All video will be displayed in beautiful full-screen, HD-quality and viewable with 3G and Wi-Fi connections
- EIGHT ADDITIONAL LIVE STREAMS OF VIDEO CONTENT
- Wednesday’s Par 3 Contest
- Tournament play at Amen Corner (Hole Nos. 11, 12, and 13)
- Tournament play at Hole Nos. 15 and 16
- Two channels of Featured Groups on their play of the second nine
- Masters In-Depth – A live highlights channel during ESPN and CBS broadcast
- Masters On the Range – Special analysis from a live-streamed Practice Range show Monday through Wednesday mornings
- Player press conferences live from the Press Building
(Live video is available to view in the United States only.)
- ON-DEMAND VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS AND FEATURES
- EXCLUSIVE LIVE SCORING
- Interact with the live Leader Board, which features up-to-the-minute scoring and video highlights of the greatest moments on the course
- COURSE OVERVIEW
- Detailed course information with imagery, flyover videos, and par and yardage for each of the Masters Tournament’s prestigious 18 holes
- HISTORY TIMELINE
- Delve into a trove of Augusta National lore in a richly annotated interactive timeline, including archival films and photos, of the most significant milestones in Masters history.
- COMPREHENSIVE NEWS COVERAGE
- Player information, push notification alerts, and all of the latest news and live text updates from the grounds of the Masters Tournament.
– It’s the official app for The Masters.
– Even a couple days ahead of when the main tournament kicks off, it’s already packed with good content. When I opened it just a short while ago to grab some screenshots, there was a live press conference being shown with Gary Player being interviewed. I had intended to just be in and out of the app for a few screengrabs; but ended up watching for quite a while, just because he was such a great player and is still a razor-sharp and great interviewee at the age of 75.
– The app lets you take a good look at all 18 holes on the famous Augusta course.
– You can even personalize the app, so that you can follow your favorite players more closely.
– The app is solid, live video looks great full screen and within the main screen.
None that I’ve spotted so far.
The official iOS apps for The Masters have always been well done. This one designed for the iPad upholds that tradition – and hey, The Masters is all about tradition. It’s a great looking companion for one of the great sporting events of the year.
Here’s an App Store link for The Masters Tournament for iPad; it’s priced at $1.99.