Ultimate Sharks is this week’s iPad App of the Week – a fitting choice to coincide with Discovery Channel’s annual shark week. Published by Discovery Communications, the app is chock full of great content that should appeal to anyone who’s even mildly interested in sharks.
Here are some of the app’s notable features:
– 10 DEADLIEST SHARKS: Packed with robust content about the most fearsome shark species known including the Great White, Hammerhead, Tiger Shark and others
– 3D INTERACTIVE SHARKS: Control the sharks with your fingertip. Make them swim, hunt and attack
– HIGH QUALITY VIDEOS: Over 3 hours of custom-created shark videos produced from Discovery’s legendary shark library and narrated by Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame
– AIRPLAY-ENABLED: Share your favorite shark videos with friends and family on the big screen
– ATTACK STORIES: Unbelievable tales of human encounters with sharks
– EXCLUSIVE CONTENT: Over 75 screens of content, expertly written text and narrative, interactive maps and infographics
– HI-RES PHOTOS: Over 250 breathtaking high-resolution photos from some of the world’s most celebrated wildlife photographers
The app is well done – the UI is basic and makes it easy to get around and geek out on all the great shark content. There’s a nice slider-style nav bar at the bottom of the screen – which is used both to move between the different types of shark and to browse through the different types of content for each.
There’s a Media Center for each of the 10 deadly sharks covered in the app – with large photo galleries and a good set of videos for each of them. One of the most fascinating videos is the horrible story of the shark attacks on US servicemen after the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.
The photos within the app are excellent, and there’s a good amount of detail offered in text about each shark type as well – including stats on length, weight, reported attacks, diet, conservation status etc.
The sections covering size for each shark type include fun comparison images of the shark next to people, animals and objects.
The 3D views of each shark are very fun to look at and tap around in to see the different modes.
If you haven’t yet had your fill of sharks via Discovery Channel’s week-long celebration of them, then this app should be a perfect companion – and one that can tide you over and keep you enthralled during the long 51 weeks before next year’s Shark Week.
Here’s an App Store link for Ultimate Sharks; it’s priced at $4.99.
Disclosure: This app was independently purchased by the post author in the iPad App Store. For further information regarding our site’s review policies, please see the "About" page.