Weather Chum is a new weather app for the iPad and iPhone that brings a fresh new cartoon-style animated interface. There are lots of good and even great weather apps for the iPad; but this one is unique as far as I’m aware in bringing a playful spin to things.
The app offers animated characters and animations to reflect current conditions, and accompanying sound effects. It also lets you share your current weather conditions on Facebook in a fun, comic-book style.
Here are some of the app’s other key features:
- Actual and 7 day-forecast;
- Sunrise and sunset times, wind speed and direction, humidity levels, “feels like” temperature as well as probability of precipitations;
- Fahrenheit or Celsius setting;
- Choose the location where you are (via GPS) and/or up to 3 other cities from anywhere in the world;
- Simple help screen;
I couldn’t find a city yet with a thunderstorm to listen those sound effects, but I added London and it the jackpot for hearing rain pouring down.
Weather Chum comes with one animated character, called Carl. You can add his canine sidekick, Twister, for 99 cents as an In-App purchase.
This is obviously not the most comprehensive of iPad weather apps, but I think it’s got a solid argument for being the most fun iPad weather app. And certainly one that kids should appreciate. Kudos to the developer, Claude Turcot, for bringing a bit of fun to this app category.
Here’s an App Store link for Weather Chum; it’s priced at $0.99 with an In-App purchase option as mentioned above.
Disclosure: This app was independently purchased by the post author.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Fandango Movies iPad App Updated: New Spotlight Carousel, New Icon, and More - April 17, 2014
- Sponsor: Grungy iPad Screen, Read On - April 17, 2014
- Age of Empires: World Domination Coming to iPad and iOS this Summer - April 16, 2014