The excellent Band of The Day app for iPad has had a major update this week, to Version 3.0.
This is a great free app for discovering new music, with a gorgeous interface. It’s a past pick for Best Free iPad App of the Week here, and still a big favorite on my iPad. And this update sounds great:
After a fantastic year this is a major new release of the award winning Band of the Day!
- Mix Tape – listen to hours of our fantastic bands
- Similar bands – when you’ve finished listening to a band we’ll play related bands from our back catalog
- Improved music player – the music player is always available and at your fingertips
- Improved reading experience – we take you straight to the review and biography of the band of the day
- We’ve improved our menu system to make it easier for you to access various features with just one tap anywhere in the app
Though these new features sound great, sadly I am not having much luck with some of them. Each time I tap on Mixtape for instance the app either crashes back to the home screen or just sits at a ‘Loading’ screen forever.
In fact, the app is just crashing a heck of a lot in general after this update – even after rebooting the iPad and reinstalling the app.
The UI is still lovely, and the new features are welcome – so hopefully the developers will iron out some of the stability issues in another update soon. Oh, and I can’t get enough of listening to ZZ Ward at the moment, so here’s a gratuitous extra app screencap:
Here’s an App Store link for Band of The Day; it’s still a free app and a universal app designed for both the iPad and iPhone.