Blogsy is a very promising new blog editor app for the iPad, that has just hit the App Store last night. I have been lamenting the lack of a great – or even good – blogging app for the iPad for ages now. And I’m happy to say I think Blogsy may just be that app.
It’s not great yet, but it is certainly good – and that makes it better than any other blogging app for iPad and iOS right away. The three ‘leading’ iOS blogging apps before Blogsy are all far from good or even decent in my view.
I was fortunate enough to be on the early beta testing team for Blogsy, and I like the app a lot. I also just love the fact that somebody has finally set out to create a truly great blogging app for the iPad, as I believe Blogsy’s developers have.
Here is more detail on the app, via its App Store page:
Blogsy is a tool designed specifically to take full advantage of the iPad’s unique touch functionality. Adding your photos and videos is as easy as dragging them from the media sidebar and dropping them into your blog post. This makes writing blog posts as easy as it should be, saving you from the hassle of manually copy/pasting embed codes or links.
Simply put, we think that Blogsy makes writing so easy that you will use it instead of your computer.
*** NOTE: Version 1 of Blogsy does not have uploading capabilities. Because of this, we’ve set the introductory price at just $2.99. Our next release will come with full uploading support, and with that we’ll bring our price back up. So act fast!
- Easily drag and drop images from Flickr, Picasa and Google Image Search, or using the built-in Web browser (yes, easily drag and drop images from any website!) Drag and drop videos from YouTube. (Either using the new iFrame or the old flash embed method with colors, borders and related videos.)
- Found a good article? Drag and drop it’s URL to instantly create a hyperlink in your blog post.. No coding required!
- Style your blog posts with the tap of a button – bold, italics, text alignment and more.
- Full support for multiple accounts/blogs for all supported services.
- Easily change image and video properties and alignment through menus.
- Write and edit HTML. Though using Blogsy’s ‘Rich Side’, you’ll probably never want to; everything from bolding text to creating links to image alignment can be done with the tap of a finger.
- Set or create lables/tags and categories, toggle comments on and off, and set visibility.
- Create scheduled posts, online drafts, and pending-review posts.
- Support for local drafts.
- Edit or delete online posts.
- WordPress (bothWordPress.com as-well as self-hosted WordPress accounts)
The big (BIG!) missing piece in Blogsy right now is the ability to upload images to your own site. You currently have to go via Flickr, Picasa and other sharing sites. The developers are well aware of this and working hard on getting the feature added very soon. For me, Blogsy has come straight out of the gate doing more and showing far more ambition than any other blogging app in the App Store. When the image uploading feature is added this will be a very formidable app in its area.
I’ll save a full review for when that feature is added – but I think the app is already well worth it’s introductory $2.99 pricetag, in part because it’s already a very nice app, and also just because finally, finally somebody is bringing us a real, worthwhile blogging app for the iPad.
I’ve happily paid for the app, and it has a place on my dock (as it has ever since I started using the beta)
Here’s an App Store link for Blogsy; it’s priced at $2.99.