Coast by Opera, my favorite alternative browser for the iPad, was updated this week – to Version 2.0. This latest version brings a few handy new features – including the ability to customize the background in the app with images from your own photo library.
Here’s the full change list for the 2.0 update:
* Easy wallpaper customization: just long press on the home screen to choose a new wallpaper or an image from your photo roll
* Fast back: going back is now instant in many cases
* Quickly open PDFs in other apps such as iBooks, your default PDF reader or Dropbox
* Bringing music to life: tiles with music or video playing come to life, and you can easily control your favorite music sites from the lock screen.
Coast was an instant favorite for me when I first tried it out back in September, and now it’s a permanent fixture on my Retina iPad mini’s dock. Although there are a number of good alternative browsers for the iPad, Coast is the first one that really takes a fresh, new approach to how an iPad browser can work. It was designed from the ground up specifically for the iPad, and you can see and feel that through every interaction you have with the app.
With its clever use of swipes and gestures and a user experience that is as fluid as that of the iPad itself, it’s fast and just a real pleasure to use.
I’ve done a little screencast video demo that shows off how Coast works as well as a couple of the new 2.0 features. Check it out when you have a moment:
Here’s an App Store link for Coast by Opera; it’s a free app.
Disclosure: Coast by Opera are currently sponsoring an iPad giveaway for iPad Insight readers. It should be noted that I was a huge fan of this app and had written about it long before Opera approached me about doing this sponsorship.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- iPad App of the Week: Tynker, Teaching Children to Program the Fun Way - March 8, 2014
- Sponsor: If your iPad looks like this, please read on… - March 7, 2014
- What Happened to the Analytics Tiles iPad App? - March 6, 2014