Coverage?, the excellent iPad and iPhone app for comparing US cellular carrier coverage, has been updated again this week – to Version 2012.11.
This is a great app for looking at which carriers have the best coverage in your local area or anywhere in the US – for 2G (yikes), 3G, 4G, and LTE. It’s the only app around that lets you overlay maps and make direct comparisons between carriers.
This latest update is labeled as a massive map update. Here’s the rest of the change list:
- All carriers: AT&T, Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile
- Return of full resolution T-Mobile maps (note: T-Mobile does not designate 3G vs 4G on their own maps, so we show all their 3G/4G coverage under the ’4G’ setting.)
- Clearer edge boundaries on all maps
- Subtly faster performance of coverage map loading
We have been working behind the scenes to improve our map creation techniques, and this is our first experiment with trying a 6-week update cycle. We continue to try to find the right balance between keeping the app updated and the amount of effort required to update the maps and get through the approval process.
I’m a big fan of the Coverage? app. It helped me decide on which carrier to use for my iPad mini. It’s great to see the developers continually updating and improving the app.
Here’s an App Store link for Coverage?; it’s priced at $2.99 and is a universal app designed for both iPad and iPhone.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Sponsor: If your iPad looks like this, please read on… - March 7, 2014
- What Happened to the Analytics Tiles iPad App? - March 6, 2014
- How To: Use Private Browsing on the iPad - March 5, 2014