The Flipboard iPad app got a major update yesterday – adding a much deeper range of topics to follow and a new curated daily news section called The Daily Edition.
The update takes the app to Version 3.0 and also includes a design refresh for one of the long-standing flagship iPad apps. The new deeper approach to topics, with over 30,000 available to follow, is a very welcome addition – and one that Flipboard has adopted after buying Zite, which pioneered this approach.
Now when you browse articles in Flipboard you’ll see a topic tag on each one – fitness, gadgets, iPad, beer, Google are just a few examples. Tap on the topic button and then with one more tap you can choose to follow that topic. I always enjoyed this feature in Zite and it’s great to see it come to Flipboard. Gadgets was the first new topic added to my first home screen in Flipboard.
The Daily Edition is an impressive new feature too. It’s a nicely curated roundup of current news stories that offers a good general overview on news for those of us who otherwise view a smaller set of favorite topics in the app.
Here’s the full details on the Flipboard V 3 update:
The third generation of Flipboard offers topic tags that create a highly personalized experience filled with precisely what you like. There’s also a new morning news magazine called The Daily Edition, and a fresh new phone design that quickly brings the stories that matter most to you front and center.
• Choose from over 30,000 topics to follow. Each topic is powered by the best stories across publishers, websites and the 10+ million magazines made on Flipboard.
• Explore topics through search or by tapping on topic tags at the bottom left of articles.
• Start your day with The Daily Edition, featuring articles selected by our team, ready at 7 a.m. every day.
• Follow people to stay up-to-date on everything they’re collecting into their magazines.
• Enjoy an overall design refresh, including full-bleed magazine covers, new typography, and more prominent comment displays and attribution.
And here’s an App Store link for Flipboard; it’s still free and still one of the very best iPad news magazine apps.