The Google Maps iOS app was updated yesterday, to Version 2.0. It’s now a universal app – which means it now has a proper iPad version. We’ve had to wait a long while since it hit the iPhone, but from what I’ve seen so far it’s well worth that wait.
Here are some of the key features in this update:
● Enhanced navigation including live traffic updates and incident reports
● Explore: A new way to browse and discover popular local places to eat, drink, shop, play and sleep
● Simple 5-star ratings and reviews from friends, plus expert Zagat content
● Great deals from your favorite brands with Google Offers
● Indoor maps with walking directions for malls, transit stations, airports and more
I’ve been playing with the new Explore feature and I’m well impressed with it. It makes it even easier to find places and points of interest nearby. The pages for individual locations are full of good information and reviews, and the design of these sections and the app as a whole is very nicely done.
This is a maps app that draws you in, makes you want to spend time with it. It’s a pleasure to use, the new features are impressive, and It’s way ahead of the built-in Maps app.
Here’s an App Store link for Google Maps; it’s a free app.