The Mr. Reader RSS app for iPad has had a big (big!) update today, to Version 2.0.2. There are new features, improvements and fixes added for a number of its supported backend services, including Feedly, Feedbin, and Feed Wrangler.
Here is the lengthy change list for this update:
• BazQux: Reordering of folders and feeds implemented
• Feedly: Implemented the missing ‘migrate’ functionality of the ‘Subscriptions Checker’
• Extended the ‘more’ menu (tap&hold a feed) with ‘Copy Website URL’, ‘Copy Feed URL’, ‘Email Subscription’ and ‘Open In Subscriptions Checker’
• Improved the App state restoration after a restart
• Facebook: Replaced the deprecated web based share dialog by my own implemenation
• Fever: New account setting (only when editing) to set a flag for Fever clones like Stringer. Will not use “optimized” API calls in this case.
• VoiceOver: Did not used the correct title and author values when you navigated between articles
• Pocket view: YouTube video player fixed (did not load some videos)
• Fixed a text encoding problem (displayed strange characters). For example, Fever does not always provide valid UTF-8 responses.
• Always showing the ‘Cancel’ button in the RSS service login dialogs (e.g. re-login required). Previously only when multiple accounts were configured.
• Feedly: They changed their API, some HTTP proxies/firewalls block HTTP PATCH calls. Renaming folders and subscribing to feeds should work in this cases now too.
• Feedly: The dates in the articles table should now match with the Feedly website
• Feedly: Articles of some feeds (Penny Arcade, Something Awful, …) could not be opened in the web view nor in the mobilizer views
• Feedly: Possible crash fixed when subscribing to a feed
• Feed Wrangler: A just created “folder” (Smart Stream) was not editable
• Feedbin API change: Renaming feeds uses now HTTP POST instead of HTTP PATCH to avoid problems with proxies/firewalls
• Critical accounts handling bug fixed. You recognized it for example, when the sync timestamp did not updated after a synchronisation.
• YouTube video fix added until Feedly and Feed Wrangler correct the invalid YouTube video URLs on server side, like it was/is done by Google Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedbin, etc.
• Zoom Image: Had some problems with the ‘A Softer World’ comic (http://www.rsspect.com/rss/asw.xml). Displaying the correct alt/title text is not always easy. ;-)
• Services Setting: The reorder control is broken for bleeding edge users at the moment. Workaround: Tap&hold the service to add/remove it.
• Tumblr security fix
• Removed Bolt. This service already died in April 2013! :-(
• Removed the Google Reader login
With the recent demise of Google Reader, many of us have been looking at and trying out a number of replacement solutions and the best iPad apps in the wake of Google’s decision to kill off Reader. On my iPad the choice has come down to Feedly and Mr. Reader at the moment. I’m using both, and both are quite good. It’s good to see this major update for Mr. Reader and that both of these leading iPad RSS apps are getting frequent updates.