Adobe CreatePDF is a new iPad (and iOS universal) app for converting documents to PDFs right on the iPad. It’s said to bring ‘the same high-quality PDF creation as Adobe Acrobat’ to the iPad.
Here are a few of its key features:
- Creates PDF files that look exactly like the original using the same technology as Adobe Acrobat.
- Consistent, high-fidelity PDF conversion independent of device or software. Uses Adobe’s online services to ensure there is no compromise on quality or performance. The service does not keep a copy of your original or the PDF document.
- Preserves links, end notes, foot notes and creates bookmarks automatically in PDF files converted from Office documents
- Preserves Transitions and converts Multi-media Content for Power Point files.
- Convert email attachments or files stored in the cloud or any application by opening them within the Adobe CreatePDF application.
- Hand over converted PDF files to other applications, including sending as email attachments with one touch
And the list of supported file formats:
•MS Word (docx, doc), Excel(xlsx, xls), PowerPoint (pptx, ppt)
•Adobe Illustrator (ai), Photoshop (psd) and InDesign (indd)
•Images – JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF
•RTF, Text and WordPerfect
•OpenOffice and StarOffice documents
I’ve given the app a quick look this morning. It did well on converting a .doc file to a PDF quite quickly.
The app’s UI is beyond basic. You can’t pull in a file from anywhere within the app itself, instead you have to use the ‘Open In’ feature within another app and choose Adobe CreatePDF to bring a document in for conversion. You get a status bar showing the conversion progress.
Once a document has been converted you can email it, print it, or use the Open In feature to open it in a PDF viewing / editing app (GoodReader, Readdle Docs, iBooks, Dropbox etc).
You cannot do any editing of your converted PDFs within the app; it strictly does the conversion.
I think this app would be a lot more useful if it added connections to Google Docs, Dropbox, iDisk / iCloud and similar services – so that you could have access to your file libraries and choose to bring in multiple documents at once and convert multiple documents at once as well.
For now, it seems steeply priced at $9.99.
Here’s an App Store link for Adobe CreatePDF.