Opera Coast is the new name for my favorite alternative browser for the iPad, which was previously known as Coast by Opera.
Along with the new name, the app has also had a major update this week – adding an iPhone version and some nice new features for both the iPad and iPhone versions:
New features for both iPad and iPhone:
* “Stuff we like”: suggestions for discovering popular sites from where you are and interesting sites to waste time on (“Stuff we like” is shown in search before you start typing)
* A wider selection of wallpapers, automatically downloaded and refreshed from the Opera add-ons site
* Automatic iCloud syncing of home screen tiles
* New design for context menus (long press in web pages)
* New design for sharing menu in the recent sites
* Improved introduction guide on first start up
* Several security, performance and stability improvements
* Big performance improvements in search
* Coast will use much less disk space
* Faster start up
* Support for more icon types, added support for icons from Google+ (using link rel=publisher)
* Faster flip animation when opening and closing sites
* Automatic password saving works on more sites
* Added ability to reload a site when there is no or bad network and give better feedback about the loading progress in these cases
Opera Coast is an excellent iPad browser with a unique and different approach. It was one of our picks for the Best iPad Apps of 2012. Here’s what I had to say about in that article:
It’s the first browser app that’s genuinely a re-think on an iPad browser and designed from the ground up specifically for Apple’s tablet. It offers a user experience that’s as fluid and smooth as that of the iPad itself – making use of quick swipes to move back and forward between web pages, a card-style view to move between recently opened sites, and a constant full screen view. Easily the most elegant and iPad-like browser I’ve seen for the iPad.
Here’s an App Store link for Opera Coast Web Browser; it’s a free app and now a universal app designed for both the iPad and iPhone.