Rolling Stone Magazine now has an iPad edition. It’s the latest big-name title to come to Newsstand on the iPad – despite the fact that one of the magazine’s co-founders described other publishers as crazy for embracing the iPad less than two years ago.
The magazine is available in the iPad App Store now and offers up its mix of breaking music news, album and movie reviews, rock star profiles and coverage of national affairs.
There is currently just one issue available to buy, at $4.99 – and subscription options are as follows:
- Single Issue: $4.99
- 1 Month Subscription: $1.99 plus first month free
- 1 Year Subscription: $19.99 plus first month free
I’ve occasionally read Rolling Stone over the years but have never been a subscriber. I’ve downloaded the first issue today and taken a quick browse through it. A few things stand out in this debut issue:
– The download size is encouragingly small at just 49MB – though that’s partly due to the fact the magazine supports portrait mode only.
– It offers streaming samples of music on some pages – but they’re only around 45 seconds long. That seems a little lame for such a music-focused title.
– There are a lot of ads. It takes 11 page swipes in the first issue to even get to the How To Use This App page. So 10 full page ads come right after the front cover. You can move through these more quickly via the standard slider control that can be toggled onto the bottom of the screen, but even so that’s an awful lot of ads before even one real content page.
— The design looks very cookie-cutter iPad edition. I didn’t notice anything new or innovative that spoke of any great amount of though put into optimizing for the iPad. Hopefully I missed something there, or future issues will be better – otherwise it looks like Rolling Stone thinks they can just ‘mail it in’ when it comes to their iPad edition.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Age of Empires: World Domination Coming to iPad and iOS this Summer - April 16, 2014
- Notable New iPad Apps: WordPerfect X7 (Limited Free Trial) - April 15, 2014
- Ziner RSS Reader for iPad Updated – Lots of Nice Little Improvements - April 14, 2014