The Civil War Today is a superb looking new app for the iPad, that brings a critical piece of American history to its readers a day at a time for the next four years. It’s a unique and admirable approach, and should make for a great app for educators, students learning this period, and history buffs.
Here’s a slice of the App Store description for the app:
150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, a ground-breaking app created by Bottle Rocket Apps exclusively for the iPad. Experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• GameCenter integration to earn Civil War era appropriate achievements – and display them in a virtual medals case.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.
Witness the Civil War play out 150 years later, one day at a time, in this first-of-its-kind app. HISTORY Made Every Day.
I just installed the app this morning and it looks just as good as advertised. Today’s headline was about Virginia seceding from the union.
Great idea for an app. I hope my daughter will appreciate it soon, perhaps next school year. I can certainly see this being a killer app in the classroom for schools that are rolling out iPads to teachers and students.
Here’s an App Store link for The Civil War Today; it’s priced at $7.99.