Sometime last night The Guardian iPad Edition was released, and it’s available now in the App Store.
It’s a free app for a limited time, then available via subscription at £9.99 per month (around $16/month) for six issues per week (Monday-Saturday). Here’s the opening of its App Store intro:
The Guardian iPad edition beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to coverage of culture, science, the environment, media and technology.
And some of its key features:
– daily editions from Monday to Saturday including all content from the main section of the Guardian newspaper, G2 and the Media, Education, Society and Film & Music sections
– on Saturday, the Sport, cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
– full compatibility with Apple’s newsstand service – background downloading of each issue
– editions from the last month available in the archive
– all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
– stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
– video embedded in articles viewable when online
– share stories via Facebook, Twitter and email
– swipe to navigate between sections or stories
– related articles within the edition highlighted
– related online articles open in an in-app browser
– “back page” showcase of the latest news, video and comment from the Guardian website
I’ve installed the app but haven’t had a chance to take a look at it yet – but I’m looking forward to spending a lot of time with it this evening and will definitely review it once I’ve got to know it well.
Here’s an App Store link for The Guardian iPad Edition.