USA TODAY for iPad has had a major update today, to Version 3.0.0. It’s a significant enough update for the change list to refer to it as ‘the new USA TODAY for iPad’.
The app’s UI has had a major overhaul in this new version. Here’s the details:
- Choose the way you want to view the news: scan the headlines with “List” view or lean back and enjoy the image-rich “Grid” view
- New sliding panel allows you quick access to your favorite features like weather, scores, markets and puzzles
- Save your stories: Not enough time to finish reading an article? Do you have to power down your iPad on the plane? No problem, just save the article and read it later!
- Story highlights: Get a quick summary of a story on the first page with these new essential article highlights.
- Media index: Do you want to interact with the news? Now you can access a vast selection of USA TODAY photo galleries and videos.
I’ve only just installed the update a short while ago, but I have to say the fresh new look and interface make a very good first impression.
Here are a few more screenshots of the new interface, starting with today’s Tech section:
Here’s the USA TODAY photo galleries:
The Day In Sports gallery:
And the sidebar popover for Sports:
I did a review of USA TODAY for iPad back in 2010 and was very impressed with it. I’ve written about it often since then, as it continues to be updated and improved all the time, and it was a Best Free iPad App of the Week pick as well. It may not be the most heavyweight of print titles, but it has been one of the newspapers that has best adapted to the iPad right from the beginning and is still one of the best, real iPad editions I’ve seen – and continues to be a free app too.
Here’s an App Store link for USA TODAY for iPad.