Watchup is a great video news app for the iPad and a recent pick for our Best Free iPad App of the Week. The app received another substantial update yesterday, to Version 1.11.0.
One of the most notable items in this update is the addition of ESPN to the channel list. For sports fans this is very good news – as most of the app’s channels have been more general news up to now. It’s good to see the leading sports network added. Other new channels added in this update include the New York Daily News, This Week in Startups, and local channels from Boston and Portland.
There are also some nice UI changes in this update:
• Subscribe to up to 20 channels.
• Just turn the app on and your automatic newscast will play continuously.
• Swipe to the next video, just like a magazine.
• While watching, you can now see and manipulate all your queue: queue up or play any video straight away
• Want to browse videos per channel? Just pull down the top panel and pick your favorite clips to add them to the queue.
• Pull up the lower panel to reveal extensive descriptions about each video.
• Multitask: subscribe or unsubscribe to/from a channel by pulling the left handle while watching.
Watchup continues to be one of my favorite news apps on the iPad, and the developers have done a great job with frequent updates over recent months.
Here’s an App Store link for Watchup for iPad; it’s still a free app.