Civil War II: 1862 is a new iPad wargame from the clever folks at Hunted Cow Studio. It’s a prequel to their excellent Civil War: 1863 and and other good looking strategic wargame title for the iPad. In fact it sounds like a nice step up from its predecessor in some ways:
… incorporating the detailed strategic gameplay of the original while adding major new features and improvements such as flank attacks and strategic movement. Melee combat has also been given greater emphasis and the range of troop quality has been expanded to include elite units.
The game lets you play 7 different campaigns that are based on 14 historical battles from the American Civil War – 13 of them can be played as either side. There are 5 more campaigns that can be added via In-App purchase at just 99 cents each.
Here are some of the game’s key features:
● High Definition Civil War Era Graphics.
● 8 Mission ‘Tutorial’ campaign.
● 5 Mission ‘Fix Bayonets’ campaign.
● 8 Mission ‘Steel and Thunder’ campaign.
● All missions can be played as both sides (except the tutorial).
● 8 Unique Civil War Units:
– Infantry with Muskets.
– Infantry with Rifled Muskets.
– Naval Gunboats.
– Dismounted and Mounted Cavalry.
● Four classes of infantry – Raw, Average, Veteran and Elite.
● Different infantry formations: unformed, line for shooting and column for charging!
● Detailed Combat Analysis.
● Flank Attacks .
● Strategic Movement.
● Hours of Gameplay.
● Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards.
● Universal App (Works on iPhone & iPad).
I did a review of Civil War: 1863 for iPad last year, and was very impressed with it. Since then I’ve purchased add-on campaigns and got a lot of good play out of the game.
This is shaping up as a heck of a good week if you enjoy wargames on the iPad – with this new Civil War game and the upcoming release of Drive on Moscow on November 21.
Here’s an App Store link for Civil War II: 1862; it’s priced at $0.99 and is a universal app designed to run on both iPad and iPhone.