Well, it’s been not far off a year since I last had any of my iPads jailbroken. Until today that is. I succumbed once again to temptation this morning and decided to jailkbreak my iPad mini – largely due to hearing my friend Thomas talk about how much he was enjoying the latest jailbreak on his iPad mini.
I used the new Evasi0n jailbreak and it was a quick and easy process just as it usually is – just a little over 5 minutes for me today, from time of having the Evasi0n app downloaded to the iPad mini ready to go with the Cydia jailbreak app store installed.
Just in case any of you are thinking about jailbreaking your iPad with Evasi0n, here’s a few notes on the process and how it went for me today:
– My starting point was the Evasi0n jailbreak home page – where I downloaded the latest version for Mac (1.3) and found a link for instructions on doing the jailbreak on iOS 6.1 on the iPad and other iDevices.
– This jailbreak is compatible with the following iPads:
* iPad with A6X chip (4th gen)
* iPad 3
* iPad 2
* iPad mini
– Here’s the lowdown on what you need for the jailbreak:
The following is a list of official requirements for the evasi0n untethered jailbreak, as stated by the evad3rs
* A USB cable to connect the device to the computer
* 5 minutes of your time!
* A computer, running Windows (XP minimum), Mac OS X (10.6 minimum) or Linux (x86 / x86_64)
* An iPhone, iPad or iPod running iOS 6.0 through 6.1
You also need to have the latest version of iTunes installed – mine is 11.0.1 on an iMac.
– The Evasi0n download file (.dmg for Mac) is under 10MB – so it’s a very quick download.
– I did an iCloud backup of my iPad mini before starting on the jailbreak – which is always a good idea of course.
– The instructions linked above are straightforward and should be easy to follow even for anyone trying jailbreak for the first time. The app crashed with a ‘quit unexpectedly’ error the first time I ran it – but I just fired it up again right away and it ran through just fine the second time.
– The Evasi0n app also gives crystal clear instructions and prompts throughout the short jailbreak process. Here are a few screencaps of those – starting with the app’s initial screen:
Now the jailbreak process is just getting started:
Waiting on the iPad reboot …
Jailbreak complete, but Evasi0n is still doing a few things and there will be a few more iPad restarts …
That’s about all there is to it. Definitely another easy jailbreak. It does not require a restore, but just applies the jailbreak over the top like an update.
I’ll post later on about a few of the first jailbreak tweaks I’ve installed and one in particular that is very impressive.
Have any of you got your iPad jailbroken with Evasi0n? Or are you planning to try it out?