A report issued this week by the Canalys market research firm shows Apple surprisingly atop the list of the world’s biggest PC makers in Q4 of 2012. The clear reason for Apple’s position is that Canalys counts tablets as computers – unlike other major research firms like IDC and Forrester.
The chart above highlights that iPads make up the vast majority of Apple PC sales. It also highlights a few more staggering iPad numbers:
– Around 1 out of every 6 computers shipped last quarter was an iPad!
– Apple sold more than twice as many iPads as Dell sold computers of any kind last quarter
– None of the leading computer manufacturers shipped as many computers total as Apple sold iPads. HP’s number is 15 million – well behind the iPad on its own at 22.9 million.
Given the iPad’s massive adoption rate in the Fortune 500, its use for a huge array of business and productivity purposes, and its amazing versatility I think it makes perfect sense to count it as a computer. It’s incredible to think that the iPad itself, and the sort of tablet it is, did not even exist just a little over 3 years ago.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Fandango Movies iPad App Updated: New Spotlight Carousel, New Icon, and More - April 17, 2014
- Sponsor: Grungy iPad Screen, Read On - April 17, 2014
- Age of Empires: World Domination Coming to iPad and iOS this Summer - April 16, 2014