Google has made some changes this year to how Google Calendar syncs with iOS devices. For years I have just setup Google Sync as an Exchange account in Settings on the iPad and iPhone and it has worked beautifully for me. It had been especially good whenever I got a new iPad or iPhone – as all I had to do was setup that account and within less than a minute all my Calendar info was up-to-date.
Unfortunately, Google Sync was shutdown by Google in January of this year. So when I recently bought a new iPad mini I discovered that Google Sync no longer works for Calendar or Contacts. But … there is still a way to sync Google Calendar and Contacts with the iPad – and both are easy to do once you know how. In this post I’ll outline how to get Google Calendar sync working; I’ll soon write another explaining how to setup Google Contacts sync.
Here’s how to get Google Calendar sync working with the iPad:
– Open the Settings app.
– Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars in the left sidebar
– Tap on ‘Add Account’ on the Mail, Contacts, Calendars page. This will open the Add Account page
– Tap on Gmail in the list of account types. This will bring up the Gmail account details page. Fill in the required details there – your name, Gmail address, password, and a description for this account – then tap ‘Next’ at the top right of this page.
– The next page that comes up will show the GMail services you want to enable on this account – Mail, Calendar, and Notes. Make sure Calendar is set to On.
That’s it. Once you’ve completed those steps, just open the Calendar app on the iPad and it will start syncing automatically.
If, like me, you already have a Gmail account setup you’ll just need to edit it and ensure that Calendar is turned On. I also found that I needed to delete my old Google Sync Exchange account to make calendar sync work smoothly.
Happy calendar syncing.
Latest posts by Patrick Jordan (see all)
- Notable New iPad Apps: iOOTP Baseball 2014 - April 18, 2014
- Fandango Movies iPad App Updated: New Spotlight Carousel, New Icon, and More - April 17, 2014
- Sponsor: Grungy iPad Screen, Read On - April 17, 2014