If you’re not keen on using up tons of storage space on your iPad with music but still would love to have access to your full iTunes Music Library on the iPad at times, here’s a quick and easy tip to help you achieve that.
All you need to do is use the Home Sharing feature in iTunes. This will only work when your iPad and computer are on the same WiFi network, but should still be very useful if you don’t store much music locally on your iPad.
Here’s how you get it working:
– In iTunes on your computer, click on Advanced on the menu bar, and choose ‘Turn on Home Sharing’. You’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID and password. Once you enter those details you’ll get a confirmation message letting you know that Home Sharing is on.
– On the iPad, go to Settings > Music.
– As long as your iPad and computer are on the same WiFi network, you’ll see the Home Sharing section down at the bottom of that page. You just need to enter the Apple ID you use for iTunes and your password in the fields provided.
– Go to the Music app on the iPad and tap on the More tab in the bottom nav bar and tap on Shared.
– On the Shared dialog that comes up you’ll see ‘My iPad’ is selected for locally stored music. The second item will be ‘John Smith’s Library’ (with your name of course) that you just shared. Just tap on that entry to have access to the full iTunes music library.
That’s it. Hope this comes in handy.