If you want to get rid of a few photos in the iPad’s Camera Roll it’s easy enough to just tap and delete within the Photos app on the iPad. If, however, you’ve imported and built up a collection of dozens or even hundreds of images in the Camera Roll that’s not a barrel of laughs anymore.
Here’s my quick suggestion for the best / fastest way to delete a large number of photos from your iPad (if you’re using a Mac):
** As an extra cautious step, you may want to run one full ‘Import All’ process without the ‘Delete after import’ checkbox enabled, and check that all the images imported successfully before running a second one per the steps below.
– It’s a good idea to save your Camera Roll photos to somewhere just in case you want some or all of them back at a later date – this process using the Image Capture app accomplishes this.
– Launch the Image Capture app on your Mac – it’s probably not in the dock, so you’ll need to launch it from the /Applications folder.
– Connect your iPad to your Mac.
– Image Capture should recognize the iPad right away, and start displaying thumbnails of the images you have in the iPad Camera Roll.
– At the bottom right of the Image Capture screen you’ll see an ‘Import All’ button. To the left of it there’s a dropdown field where you can set which folder to import these images to.The default is /Pictures; I like to create a new sub-folder there called ‘iPad Import Today’s Date’ type thing. Choose whatever folder works for you.
– Once you’ve selected the folder to import your images to, you also need to select the checkbox that reads ‘Delete after import’. This is located at the bottom left of the Image Capture screen, and you may need to toggle it to show with its little button with a downward arrow icon on it.
– Next just click the ‘Import All’ button and wait while the import runs through. The next time you open the Photos app on your iPad you may see a popup letting you know that it is updating the library, and then you should find the Camera Roll is cleared out.
That’s it. Hope this is helpful for some of you.