Apple’s Podcasts app for iPad and iPhone was updated yesterday, to Version 1.2. This is a fairly substantial update – with several nice new features and also a new look for the Now Playing screen. Or,as John Gruber puts it …
RIP skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tape deck.
Here’s the full list of changes in the update:
• Create custom stations of your favourite podcasts that update automatically with new episodes
• Choose whether your stations begin playing with the newest or oldest unplayed episode
• Your stations are stored in iCloud and kept up to date on all your devices
• Create an On-The-Go playlist with your own list of episodes
• Playlists synced from iTunes now appear in the Podcasts app
• The Now Playing view has been redesigned with easier-to-use playback controls
• Addressed an issue with resuming playback when returning to the app
• Additional performance and stability improvements
I haven’t been a big user of the Podcasts app. I prefer Instacast. For those of you who do use the Podcasts app a lot, what do you think of this update? And the new Now Playing screen?