Photogene for iPad – one of the best photo editing / photo effects apps for the iPad – has been updated this week, to Version 3.00.
Two of the big new features added in this update are Localized Effects and Collage Maker. Localized Effects is the ability to apply filters or color adjustments by just ‘painting’ them onto specific areas of an image. Collage Maker lets you select 4-6 photos or images and make a collage out of them. You get three standard collage templates to work with, and another six are available to buy via In-App purchase.
The localized effects feature is easy to use and works nicely. The collage maker is also easy to use and lots of fun. I was able to throw together the one used at the top of this post, with photos from the iPad 2 launch day here in Austin, in just a couple minutes.
Quick Hint: You need to allow Photogene for iPad to use your location, via Settings > Location Services, in order for the collage maker to work.
Here’s the full list of changes in this 3.00 update:
– Localized effects: apply filters or color adjustments by "painting" them on specific areas of a photo.
– Collage maker: combine 2-6 photos into one with a variety of layouts. Text boxes can be added as well.
– Compare mode: tap the "A:B" button at the top of the adjustments or retouch panels to view your photo without the changes you made.
– Picasa: can now export photos directly to Picasa web albums.
– Can now add shadow to text inside text boxes.
– Tint: new tint slider in the color adjustments panel.
Important bug fixes:
– Fixed a problem that sometimes the wrong photos were displayed in the thumbnails view.
– Automatic recovery from corrupt database. This problem prevented modifications from being saved, and photos could not be exported ("encoding error").
There are certain types of iPad apps where we are really spoiled for choice, as there are so many very good ones around. Image editing is one of these areas, and Photogene is certainly among the best apps around in this category. As always, it’s great to see a leading app continuing to get updates and add cool new features.
Here’s an App Store link for Photogene for iPad; it’s priced at $2.99.