Wyse PocketCloud RDP / VNC (Remote Desktop) is the brand new free version of one of the leading iOS apps for remote access to Windows and Mac PCs.
Today Wyse is announcing a new free version of its popular PocketCloud virtual desktop app for iPhone/ iPad, inviting consumers into what has been an mainly an enterprise focused space. Now anyone can work on the Microsoft Office suite, browse the full web, and even play flash games.
This is definitely one of the best remote access apps – and especially for Windows / RDP – I’ve seen on iOS. The app now has over 250,000 users across the iOS and Android platforms, and has received rave reviews from a number of enterprise-focused titles.
Here’s more information on the app, straight from its App Store page:
Wyse PocketCloud enables complete access to your work and home desktop over WiFi and 3G-all your Windows and Mac applications & files in the palm of your hand. You no longer need to carry a laptop to make an important presentation or edit that spreadsheet on the go.
Access your desktop web browser through your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Access Flash based websites and so much more!
From the market leader in secure remote desktop access, PocketCloud enables you to be productive whenever, wherever.
• Get connected in a few simple steps using our simple automatic discovery mechanism
• This single application works on your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
• OPTIMIZED for iPhone 4 and iPad GUI
• Advanced high-accuracy Mouse Touch Pointer
• iPad and iPhone 4 native full-resolution and Retina Display support
• Intuitive multi-line text entry with Copy/Paste capability
• Quickly access common keyboard shortcut keys
• International keyboard support (e.g. Japanese, German, etc)
• Better compression using the latest remote desktop protocols, (works great even over 3G!)
• VNC support to connect to your Mac or Windows Home Editions
** For access to multiple computers, video streaming support, optimized file browser, VMware support, ad free, and more, please check out our PocketCloud Pro application.
+Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (32bit and 64bit)
+Mac OS X 10.6
*Network Layer Authentication (NLA) not supported
As you can see, this is a very powerful and capable app, and to have a free version of it focused at home users is a big plus. Here are the differences between the free and pro versions:
1) Free app is limited to only one connection at a time (meaning if you have to computers, you can only connect to one. You would have to delete the one entry and enter a new connection to get to the other).
2) Free app has ads.
3) Free app does not support VMware connections.
4) Free app does not have PocketCloud Premium capability (video streaming, for example. Only paid app has in-app purchase for this capability).
5) Free app has no external monitor support .
You can find Wyse PocketCloud RDP / VNC (Remote Desktop) in the App Store now, and of course it is a free app.