Origin8’s iPad strategy game – Space Station: Frontier HD – is on sale for this holiday weekend, to help mark the UK launch of the iPad. I’ve never played this one (yet), but it looks like quite a good game. It’s currently Number 12 in Top Paid Games in the App Store, with 5 star ratings.
Origins8’s email promo for the sale said it would down to $2.99, from its normal $4.99 price. It turns out though that it is currently listed at just $1.99. The sale is listed as being from the 29th to the 31st.
Here’s a little more detail on the game, from its App Store page:
As overseer of a deep space mining operation you’d expect it to be a peaceful job. No such luck with a mysterious alien race violently contesting your claim to the territory!
Harvest precious energy, fortify your station, build up your firepower to defend humanity’s domain on this new frontier!
ENHANCED FOR IPAD!
• Completely redesigned interface for the larger screen!
• Playable in portrait or landscape – at any time!
• Interactive mini-map!
• Improved graphical quality throughout!
• Construct weaponry and mining tools using an intuitive tower defense style interface.
• Design and power vast networks of structures, then defend them against alien incursion!
• Earn upgrades and unlocks for your space station to increase its power and abilities!
• Story-based campaign mode where you are humanity’s last chance for survival.
• Play one of three freeform, endless modes and compete with other players worldwide using the online leaderboards.
• Mission mode provides quick tactical challenges. Beat a scenario to earn achievements!
• Multiplayer head-to-head! Play against another player on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad! Needs LAN WiFi or Bluetooth.
• Full OpenFeint integration provides multiple user profiles, complete offline support, online scores and lots of achievements to earn.
• Awesome music & sound effects by Earcom.
There’s also a pretty nice little update for the game to go along with its weekend sale:
Coinciding with the sale is the release of an update adding a head to head WiFi/Bluetooth multiplayer mode. Now iPad players can go on the offence, assembling alien fleets to attack their opponent’s station while constructing their own base’s defences against enemy assault. "Space Station: Frontier" and "Space Station: Frontier HD" are fully compatible in multiplayer, allowing head to head play between any pairing of iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad (requirements: iPhone OS 3.0 Bluetooth, OS 3.1 WiFi).
You can find Space Station: Frontier HD in the App Store now – and remember the sale price is only for this Memorial Day weekend.