That’s the question I am trying to answer as I wait for Wednesday with my fingers crossed, hoping that the rumors of a quick iPad release are true. Like so many others have done, I put my iPad on eBay in advance of Apple’s impending announcement, hoping to get ahead of the impending price drops. I ended up doing ok, I guess, but the prices on eBay and Craigslist are already starting to fall a bit. After Wednesday, you can expect those prices to take an even bigger dip, so if you are planning on selling to raise a little cash for the iPad 2, you should probably act right now.
If you do decide to go ahead and sell, be sure to keep a couple of things in mind. If you go the eBay route, you can do a 1-Day auction and be assured of making a sale if you are asking a reasonable price. However, just remember that the fees are murder, and you probably won’t get that bill until after your new purchase has already been made. Between PayPal, eBay, and shipping charges, you are looking at around a 15% loss. Ouch. That’s a lot to give up, but you do get more security than the alternatives in return.
If you go the Craigslist route, be VERY, VERY CAREFUL! I tried that first, and I got at least six scam emails in two days before giving up. I was asking a very reasonable price for my iPad, and I didn’t get any legitimate offers. If you go with Craigslist and get any emails asking you to ship out of town, shoot them down immediately. It is probably a good idea for you to go ahead and state that you will only do local, in-person sales with no exceptions in your listing, as this might ward some of the scammers off. Also, watch out for people offering to pay you more than your asking price, and for broken English in response messages, as many of these cons originate overseas.
I am going through slight withdrawals so far, but overall I am glad that I went ahead and got the money together for my next favorite tech toy. I might regret my decision if the new iPad doesn’t go on sale until the end of March, but it will still be nice to be able to preorder online as soon as soon as Apple allows. Is anyone out there planning on a last-minute sale before Wednesday at 12PM Central Time? If so, we would love to hear about it in the comments. Also, if anybody has already sold their device in preparation for the iPad 2, feel free to share your experiences with us, as well. Especially if you can give any helpful hints for those who are contemplating last-minute sales of their own.
Now, for those of you who may be a little more value conscious, and don’t necessarily have to have the latest and greatest device, Thursday might as well be Black Friday for you. There will be plenty of deals to be had on original iPads from those who decide to wait until after the announcement to sell, even more so if the iPad 2 goes on sale immediately. Keep a close eye on eBay, Craigslist, and other sites through the weekend and after, because there will be no shortage of options to choose from, with a whole lot of price competition going on.
Whether you are buying or selling, good luck out there. Be wary of any buyer or seller who makes and offer that feels a little off, and just use your common sense as your guide. If it seems too good to be true, just say no and walk away from the deal. Whichever path you are taking this week, I hope it works out well for you. Happy Hunting everybody!